Caravaggio and Caravaggisti
Instructor: Martinho Correia
24 June – 05 July 2024 | 60 hours
Michelangelo Merisi, also called Caravaggio, revolutionized painting with his unique style, combining theatrical dynamism with close physical observation, achieving a gritty naturalism in his works. Upon his death in 1610, many artists came to be considered his “followers,” even though Caravaggio himself never had a former studio or school. Called Caravaggisti, these artists emulated aspects of Caravaggio’s style, technique, and choice of subjects. Chiefly it was tenebrism, the use of dark shadows to obscure parts of the composition, that is the hallmark of the work of both the Maestro and his followers. Over his short career, Caravaggio had three distinct periods or styles. By his late period he had developed a very specific and efficient way of working. It is this late period approach that we will be studying and using to make our copies.
In this 60-hour workshop, students will gain hands-on familiarity with the techniques of one of the great masters of sacred art, Michelangelo Merisi, also called Caravaggio. Over his short career, Caravaggio developed a very specific and efficient way of working. It is this late period approach that we will be studying.
Working from high-resolution prints students will transfer the image to the prepared canvas. From there all stages of Caravaggio’s painting process will be discussed and practiced: Wash drawing, abozzo, over-painting through to the final glazes.
The workshop will begin with a slide presentation introducing Caravaggio and his work, along with a step-by-step overview of the painting process. The instructor will demonstrate each of the key steps in the painting process and will individually assist each student as they progress on their copy.
For a look at the process to be taught during the workshop please visit Martinho’s blog: https://martinhocorreia.com/the-method-of-caravaggio-step-one/
Gallery of Workshop Images
Please choose which image you would like to copy in your workshop application so that we may supply you with a reproduction of this work, click on the image for the title and put your choice on your application form.
EARLY RESERVATIONS ARE RECOMMENDED, AS STUDENT NUMBERS ARE PURPOSELY LIMITED TO ALLOW FOR A HIGH DEGREE OF INDIVIDUAL ATTENTION.
- WORKSHOP FEE: €2100.00EUROS
- (THE COST OF SOME OF THE MATERIALS ARE INCLUDED IN THIS PRICE – OTHER MATERIALS, HOWEVER, ARE TO BE PROVIDED BY THE STUDENT. A MATERIALS LIST WILL BE PROVIDED ON REGISTRATION).
- THE FEE INCLUDES 10-DAYS TUITION.THE COURSE INVOLVES 60 HOURS OF FULL INSTRUCTION, TOGETHER WITH LECTURES.
- CLASS TIMES: MONDAY TO FRIDAY 09.30 – 12.30 AND 13.30 – 16.30
NOT INCLUDED ARE: ACCOMMODATION, AIRFARES, TRANSPORT AND ALL OTHER EXPENSES
- RESERVATION & REGISTRATION: IN ORDER TO RESERVE YOUR PLACE IN OUR SUMMER WORKSHOP PROGRAMME 2024, WE WILL ASK YOU TO REMIT A NON-REFUNDABLE/NON-TRANSFERABLE DEPOSIT IN THE AMOUNT OF EUROS 1000.00 FOR EACH WORKSHOP 2 – 6 AND EUROS 500.00 FOR WORKSHOP 1.
- PLEASE CONTACT US FOR THE DETAILS FOR MAKING YOUR DEPOSIT / PAYMENTS (NON-TRANSFERABLE/NON-REFUNDABLE). WE CANNOT CONFIRM YOUR REGISTRATION UNTIL YOUR DEPOSIT HAS BEEN RECEIVED.
- PLEASE NOTE THAT THERE WILL BE A TRANSFER FEE OF €20.00 EUROS ADDED FOR ALL TRANSACTIONS.
FOR REGISTRATIONS FOR WORKSHOP 1 AFTER 1ST FEBRUARY AND WORKSHOPS 2 – 6 AFTER 1ST MAY 2024 THE NON-REFUNDABLE/NON-TRANSFERABLE FULL FEE IS REQUESTED AT THE TIME OF REGISTRATION.
- FINAL PAYMENT: THE NON-REFUNDABLE/NON-TRANSFERABLE BALANCE FOR WORKSHOP 1 MUST BE RECEIVED BY 1ST FEBRUARY 2024 AND WORKSHOPS 2 – 6 MUST BE RECEIVED BY 1ST MAY 2024. PLEASE CONTACT US BY EMAIL FOR PAYMENT DETAILS AT: INFO@ANGELACADEMYOFART.COM
- MINIMUM ENROLLMENT REQUIREMENT FOR ALL WORKSHOPS IS 9 PARTICIPANTS.
- PARTICIPANTS IN WORKSHOPS 1 WILL BE NOTIFIED IF THIS NUMBER IS NOT REACHED BY 2ND FEBRUARY 2024 AND FOR WORKSHOPS 2 – 6 AFTER 2ND OF MAY 2024. AT THAT TIME, THEY WILL BE GIVEN THE CHOICE OF EITHER ENROLLING IN ANOTHER WORKSHOP, AVAILABILITY PERMITTING, OR HAVING THEIR DEPOSIT REFUNDED.
- FOR WORKSHOPS 2 – 6 WE KINDLY REQUEST THAT YOU CONTACT US BY 5TH MAY TO CONFIRM RUNNING OF THE WORKSHOP IF YOU HAVEN’T ALREADY RECEIVED OUR CONFIRMATION.
- PARTICIPANTS IN WORKSHOPS 2 – 6 MAY CONTINUE TO APPLY UP TO 1ST JUNE 2024 AND AFTER THAT TIME SUBJECT TO AVAILABILITY.
- CANCELLATION POLICY: NO REFUNDS ON ANY WORKSHOPS WILL BE GIVEN FOR WHATEVER REASON.ANY DEPOSITS/FEES PAID ARE NON-TRANSFERABLE/NON-REFUNDABLE. IN CASE OF POSTPONEMENT/ CANCELLATION OF ANY OF THE ABOVE WORKSHOPS, A VOUCHER WILL BE ISSUED FOR FUTURE USE.
- THE ANGEL ACADEMY OF ART RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SUBSTITUTE INSTRUCTORS OF ANY WORKSHOP AT THE LAST MINUTE OR DURING THE SESSION.
- IN THE EVENT OF THE POSTPONEMENT/CANCELLATION OF ANY OF THE ABOVE WORKSHOPS FOR REASONS BEYOND OUR CONTROL, WE STRONGLY ADVISE PARTICIPANTS TO ACQUIRE TRAVEL INSURANCE THAT COVERS THE LOSS OF ANY AMOUNTS PAID FOR AIRFARE AND ACCOMMODATION.
- SHOULD YOU REQUIRE INFORMATION ON ACCOMMODATION IN FLORENCE WE HAVE A LIST AVAILABLE OF SMALL HOTELS WHICH ARE IN WALKING DISTANCE OF THE SCHOOL. ALTERNATIVELY SHOULD YOU PREFER TO RENT OR SHARE AN APARTMENT WE HAVE AN AGENT FOR THE SCHOOL WHO WILL BE PLEASED TO ASSIST YOU. THIS INFORMATION WILL BE SENT OUT ONCE YOU HAVE ENROLED IN ANY OR ALL OF THE WORKSHOPS.