Painting the Portrait from Photographs
Instructor: Maestro Michael John Angel
27 June – 8 July 2022 | 50 hours
The vast majority of portraits in the 21st century are painted from photographs. Unfortunately, most are not very good because the painter simply copies the photo, without an understanding the forms of the face.
In this workshop, you will learn how to properly work from photos, such that the face and figure seems to have been painted from life. You will learn the forms of the face and how to paint them realistically on your canvas.
As well as this, you will learn the principles of both form composition and colour composition as applied to the portrait.
Students will receive various pdf and jpeg send-outs that encapsulate the correct methods of using oil paint. These send-outs explain the different grounds, materials and mediums used in oil painting and also describe the various layers used in traditional underpainting-overpainting techniques.
Maestro Michael John Angel was one of the highest paid portrait painters in North America for several decades because of his firm understanding of the fine art of painting the portrait. A biography of the maestro can be seen on the Angel Academy website (https://angelacademyofart.com/the-maestro/),
and on the Art Renewal Center’s site (https://www.artrenewal.org/Artist/Index/1229) in which he is classified as a Living Master. Mr Angel has served as a judge for several national and international competitions, including the ARC International Salon competition (five times), the IlluXCon international competition, and the Portrait Society of Canada (three times). He also served as judge for la Collection Beaux-Arts Réaliste.
EARLY RESERVATIONS ARE RECOMMENDED, AS STUDENT NUMBERS ARE PURPOSELY LIMITED TO ALLOW FOR A HIGH DEGREE OF INDIVIDUAL ATTENTION.
- WORKSHOP FEE: €2300.00EUROS
- (THE COST OF SOME OF THE MATERIALS ARE INCLUDED IN THIS PRICE – OTHER MATERIALS, HOWEVER, ARE TO BE PROVIDED BY THE STUDENT. A MATERIALS LIST WILL BE PROVIDED ON REGISTRATION).
- THE FEE INCLUDES 10-DAYS TUITION.THE COURSE INVOLVES 50 HOURS OF FULL INSTRUCTION, TOGETHER WITH LECTURES.
- CLASS TIMES: MONDAY TO FRIDAY 09.30 – 12.30 AND 13.30 – 15.30
NOT INCLUDED ARE: ACCOMMODATION, AIRFARES, TRANSPORT AND ALL OTHER EXPENSES
- RESERVATION & REGISTRATION: IN ORDER TO RESERVE YOUR PLACE IN OUR SUMMER WORKSHOP PROGRAMME 2022, WE WILL ASK YOU TO REMIT A NON-REFUNDABLE/NON-TRANSFERABLE DEPOSIT IN THE AMOUNT OF EUROS 1000.00 FOR EACH WORKSHOP 1, 3,&4 AND EUROS 500.00 FOR WORKSHOP 2.
- PLEASE CONTACT US FOR THE DETAILS FOR MAKING YOUR DEPOSIT / PAYMENTS (NON-TRANSFERABLE/NON-REFUNDABLE). WE CANNOT CONFIRM YOUR REGISTRATION UNTIL YOUR DEPOSIT HAS BEEN RECEIVED.
- PLEASE NOTE THAT THERE WILL BE A TRANSFER FEE OF €20.00 EUROS ADDED FOR ALL TRANSACTIONS.
FOR REGISTRATIONS FOR ALL WORKSHOPS AFTER 1ST MAY 2022 THE NON-REFUNDABLE/NON-TRANSFERABLE FULL FEE IS REQUESTED AT THE TIME OF REGISTRATION.
- FINAL PAYMENT: THE NON-REFUNDABLE/NON-TRANSFERABLE BALANCE FOR ALL WORKSHOPS MUST BE RECEIVED BY 1ST MAY 2022. PLEASE CONTACT US BY EMAIL FOR PAYMENT DETAILS AT: INFO@ANGELACADEMYOFART.COM
- MINIMUM ENROLMENT REQUIREMENT FOR WORKSHOPS 1-4 IS 5 PARTICIPANTS.
- PARTICIPANTS IN ALL WORKSHOPS WILL BE NOTIFIED IF THIS NUMBER IS NOT REACHED BY 1ST MAY 2022. AT THAT TIME, THEY WILL BE GIVEN THE CHOICE OF EITHER ENROLING IN ANOTHER WORKSHOP, AVAILABILITY PERMITTING, OR HAVING THEIR DEPOSIT REFUNDED.
PARTICIPANTS IN WORKSHOPS 1-4 MAY CONTINUE TO APPLY UP TO 1ST JUNE 2022 AND AFTER THAT TIME SUBJECT TO AVAILABILITY.
- CANCELLATION POLICY: NO REFUNDS ON ANY WORKSHOPS WILL BE GIVEN FOR WHATEVER REASON.ANY DEPOSITS/FEES PAID ARE NON-TRANSFERABLE/NON-REFUNDABLE. IN CASE OF POSTPONEMENT/ CANCELLATION OF ANY OF THE ABOVE WORKSHOPS, A VOUCHER WILL BE ISSUED FOR FUTURE USE.
- THE ANGEL ACADEMY OF ART RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SUBSTITUTE INSTRUCTORS OF ANY WORKSHOP AT THE LAST MINUTE OR DURING THE SESSION.
- IN THE EVENT OF THE CANCELLATION OF ANY OF THE ABOVE WORKSHOPS FOR REASONS BEYOND OUR CONTROL, WE STRONGLY ADVISE PARTICIPANTS TO ACQUIRE TRAVEL INSURANCE THAT COVERS THE LOSS OF ANY AMOUNTS PAID FOR AIRFARE AND ACCOMMODATION.
- SHOULD YOU REQUIRE INFORMATION ON ACCOMMODATION IN FLORENCE WE HAVE A LIST AVAILABLE OF SMALL HOTELS WHICH ARE IN WALKING DISTANCE OF THE SCHOOL. ALTERNATIVELY SHOULD YOU PREFER TO RENT OR SHARE AN APARTMENT WE HAVE AN AGENT FOR THE SCHOOL WHO WILL BE PLEASED TO ASSIST YOU. THIS INFORMATION WILL BE SENT OUT ONCE YOU HAVE ENROLED IN ANY OR ALL OF THE WORKSHOPS.